Saturday, January 14, 2012

Flour-less Peanut Butter Cookies

Every year, my wonderful aunts, Barb and Sis make TONS of cookies for friends and family.  For years now, we have had a wonderful tradition of have a "cookie day" the Saturday before Christmas.  Its one of my favorite traditions... I love spending all day with them making yummies.  This year, Madi was sad because she couldn't eat any of the cookies.  She was still (and probably is even still) trying to accept this whole gluten free business.  So I decided to try to find a SUPER easy cookie recipe... and of course I didn't plan ahead, so it needed to only use ingredients I had on hand, none of that flax seed or xantham gum craziness. 
As I searched, I came across 3 different recipes for flour less cookie and kind of put them together to make this recipe.  And it seriously is this easy and this simple. Seriously.  :o)

(Madi had a fun time adding carob chips and Christmas colored sprinkles!)

Ingredients:
4 egg whites

2 cups peanut butter (we used regular cause that's what I had, but all-natural would be healthier and wouldn't have as much sugar.)
1-2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons
In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, combine peanut butter and sugar and baking soda; fold in egg whites. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a fork. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.

We topped them with the carob chips before they went into the oven instead of mixing them in so that batter didn't collapse.  I liked them because they were light and almost airy (thanks to the egg whites!).

Hopefully this weekend, Madi and I will attempt to make these again... this time with Splenda instead of sugar.... then these would be a low carb AND gluten free snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts