Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Oh my word.... I gotta tell you about the dinner I just made...  seriously, I'm kinda in heaven!!!
I made pizza.. and i ate like 4 big pieces.  Four.  And my blood sugar didn't go up.  Like, at all. Seriously.
(Can you tell I'm excited.... I can't even speak in full sentences!?!?!?)

How did I manage this phenomenon???? 

CAULIFLOWER!!!!!!
(Yes, I'm serious.)

It was sooooo good... I didn't even get a good pic!  Just a last second cell phone pic.

And it's blurry.  Cause I was so flippin' excited! :oD

Here's the recipe! (I used this recipe as my starting point).

1 head cooked, riced cauliflower (about 3-4 cups)

2 cup shredded cheese (i used a combo of mozz and sharp cheddar)
3 eggs, beaten
2 tsp (or so) Italian Seasoning
Good size sprinkle of onion powder
Good sized sprinkle of garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings

To "Rice" the Cauliflower:

Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater, or use a magic bullet, but only put in a little at a time). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.
One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower.
To Make the Pizza Crust:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, stir together the cheese, egg, and seasonings, then add the cauliflower and mix well. 
Transfer mix to either a cookie sheet or a 13x9 glass casserole dish.  I used both and I like the glass dish better.  I feel like it made it a more crispy crust and allowed me to spread my ingredients all over.
 Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.
Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).

Now... I'm not going to lie... it doesn't taste like a wonderful doughy flour pizza crust... but it was really good.  It didn't really taste like cauliflower at all... especially with all the yummy toppings.  My husband and daughter both HATE cauliflower and then both enjoyed... a lot.  With this recipe, we made 2 pretty thin crusted pizzas, but next time, I think I would just put it all in the glass dish and make a thicker crust.  But it was nice to have 2 pizzas because between the 3 of us... there is one piece left!!  If you had a pizza stone, you could use that, but it would probably make about 3 crusts.  Or one super thick one! :o)

I'm so excited to experiment with this recipe!  Next thing to try with this recipe.... STROMBOLI!!! :o)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts