Saturday, January 14, 2012

Black Bean Brownies

So, in my search for things that are low carb or no carb, things with no sugar, or no flour, or gluten free, I've been finding some interesting ideas.  One of them was black bean brownies.  Now... before you say EW and skip this post, hear me out.
I will be flat out honest.... you could tell they weren't plain 'ol traditional brownies.  BUT... they did taste good.  They had more of a dark chocolate, fudge brownie-ness to them, and the texture wasn't quite like a flour-filled treat, and they are better cold, or room temperature (for me at least).
In the recipe, I used Splenda, but next time, I think I will try Stevia so there is no faux-sugar aftertaste.
Black Bean Brownies

1 (15 oz.) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c. Splenda (if your like us, you might want them a little sweeter, so add another tablespoon or two of splenda)
2 large eggs
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chocolate chips

Drain and rinse black beans as thoroughly as possible. Add eggs, beans, and melted butter into the bowl of a food processor (I used my magic bullet since I don't have a food processor). Blend until smooth. Add in cocoa, vanilla and salt and blend until completely pureed. Gently stir in chocolate chips then pour into an 8"x8" pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
You could add walnuts to this... and I will be experimenting with this recipe to see how peanut butter brownies or even cheesecake brownies could be made.

What I LOVE about this recipe is that it didn't raise my blood sugar.  And I felt good about eating it.  I did serve it with a "whipped topping" that I made, but I didn't measure when I made it, so here is my estimates for it. 

1/4 cup Sour Cream
1/2 a block of cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup of whipping cream
3 tablespoons of Splenda
5 heaping spoonfuls of unsweetened cocoa powder
Using mixer, beat until smooth and fluffy.  It should expand a good bit.  Since I didn't bother to measure, and I'm only guessing... taste it as you go.  Add more or less, this is not an exact recipe.  (The brownies are tho... I have learned to MEASURE measure measure when I bake!!!).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts