Friday, November 18, 2011

Salted Caramel Pumkin Seeds

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

At Halloween this year, we made our super cool "Jesus Pumpkins" (as Made likes to call them), and decided to roast the seeds for snacks.  I found a couple different recipes on Pinterest but, since I cant follow a recipe, I made my own!  Then, we went to our local health food store, Sonnewald's and found hulled pumpkin seeds.  I did a little research and pumpkin seeds (also called pepitas) are full of awesomeness, and have a low glycemic impact, their GI number is only 10.  But I did NOT like them untoasted... or unflavored.  So instead of all sugar in the recipe, I decided to use Agave nectar.  Agave has a low GI compared to sugar, so its good for diabetics or people who just don't want the spike of sugar rush and then the fall that leaves you feeling like you need your 5th nap of the day.



What you need:
3 or 4 cups of pumpkin seeds (hulled tasted better to me, but both were good, so whatever you prefer or can find!)
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp agave nectar (i used light because I wanted sweetness, not a maple flavor... although that would be tasty too!)
2 tsp olive oil
Sprinkle of Sea Salt

First, you have to toast those bad boys (i think they are kinda icky raw), so you put them in a dry skillet on medium heat.  You have to stir them almost constantly, or they will burn.  They will be ready for the next steps when they start to pop and have a light brown color to them.  (Oh, good hulled pumpkin seeds are an olive color and not dried out looking.)  Once they are toasted, add your olive oil and brown sugar.  Mix around till the brown sugar starts to caramelize.  Turn pan down to low and add agave and salt.  Stir until everything is coated.  From here, you can add other flavors.  I have tried cinnamon (YUM) and ginger (I liked them, but Madi wasn't crazy about it), and I'm sure you could try lots of others (chili powder?!?).  Once everything is mixed pour into a bowl or onto a sheet pan covered in wax paper to cool.  The fun thing about the agave is it made clumps of seeds... Madi said it reminded her of caramel popcorn. 

(As always, I don't measure ANYTHING when I cook, so I'm kinda guessing here... if it isn't sweet enough, add more agave.)

AND.... these are gluten free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts